Welcome to another edition of Talsco Weekly
- News: The Rusting Iron.
- Development: Downloading IBM i SQL results as an CSV. What is new in Node.js core?
- API: 4 ways API’s can unlock your RPG Applications.
- Digital Transformation: Three Core Systems Challenges That Chief Architects Must Solve.
- Future: Do you know Moore’s Law?
Timothy Prickett Morgan has provided a 3-part analysis of the Help Systems Annual survey regarding the IBM i market.
The first issue focused on the “operating system’.
The second issue detailed the plans for both “hardware and software upgrades.”
In this issue, his analysis covers the “installed base of AS/400, iSeries, System i, and IBM i machines that are in the world” and breaks things down users into two groups, active users and laggards.
After diving into this issue, which category do you fall into, active user or laggard?
Downloading IBM i SQL results as an CSV
SQL has proved to be an invaluable tool for the IBM i developer. Here is a quick tutorial that teaches you how to download SQL results into a spreadsheet.
Node.js is becoming one of the most common requests we see when recruiting for an IBM i full stack developer. As you will see, the pace in which new features are being implemented is impressive.
Here is a short list:
- We no longer need to use hacks to deep clone objects in Node.js.
- In Node.js, you can now automatically cancel async operations, such as a slow HTTP request.
- Making HTTP requests in Node.js just got easier with an experimental Fetch API implementation.
- Node.js now supports importing JSON files in ES modules without the need to pass an experimental flag.
- It’s now possible to provide a reason value when triggering an abort signal in Node.js.
4 ways API’s can unlock your RPG Applications
“API’s will bring your RPG applications to life”
Here are four reasons you should be using API’s:
- API’s will bring your RPG applications to life
- Speed of deployment
- A single code bas
- They are part of a mobile-first strategy
Three Core Systems Challenges That Chief Architects Must Solve
“Enterprises recognize the need for digital transformation.”
Legacy businesses, those that have been around for 10 or more years, are sometimes thought to be at a disadvantage compared to the new upstarts in any given industry.
Do you know what Moore’s Law is?
Moore’s Law was originally derived from an observation by Gordon Moore, the co-founder of Fairchild Semiconductor and later the co-founder and CEO of Intel.
It states that the number of transistors on a chip roughly doubles every two years.
If this is true, how long should you wait to modernize your IBM i environment?
Sign up for Talsco Weekly to get the latest news, insight and job openings for the IBM i professional.
If you are an RPG programmer looking to explore opportunities or a client who is looking for a talented IBM i professional, please contact us. We look forward to assisting you.
Do you know of someone who could benefit from Talsco Weekly? If so, please use the social media buttons to spread the word. Thank you!